I want to move to Barcelona, is it possible to buy a property?
Yes, it is possible to buy an apartment in Barcelona. The city has a variety of options in terms of properties, ranging from historic buildings to modern developments. The cost of purchasing an apartment in Barcelona can vary depending on the location, size, and condition of the property. We advise you to research and seek the advice of a professional before making a purchase. At Urbane International Real Estate we can help you from this very initial phase. Contact us!
What are the main concerns I need to take into account when buying a property in Barcelona?
When buying a property in Barcelona, you should take into account the following concerns:
- Budget: Properties in Barcelona can range greatly in price, and it’s important to have a clear idea of what you are looking for.
- Location: Consider the location of the property in terms of proximity to amenities, public transportation, and safety.
- Legal requirements: Familiarize yourself with Spanish property laws and regulations and make sure to have a Real Estate Agent assist with the purchase process.
- Residency and visa requirements: Consider the requirements for obtaining a residency permit and/or “Golden Visa” if applicable.
- Taxes: Be aware of the taxes and fees associated with purchasing property in Spain, including transfer taxes and annual property taxes.
- Market conditions: Research the current real estate market in Barcelona and understand the potential for future price appreciation or depreciation.
I am not from the EU can I still buy an apartment?
Yes, non-EU citizens can purchase property in Barcelona, but they may face some additional restrictions and requirements. It is recommended to seek the guidance of a legal professional and familiarize yourself with the relevant regulations and laws before making a purchase. Then again, we can help you with that too 😉
What is the Golden Visa in Spain when you buy a property?
The “Golden Visa” in Spain is a residency permit granted to non-European Union (EU) citizens who purchase property in the country. The value of the property must be over €500,000, and the visa allows holders to reside in Spain for up to five years. After this period, the holder may apply for permanent residency or citizenship, if eligibility requirements are met. The “Golden Visa” program is designed to attract foreign investment in Spanish property and provides a pathway for non-EU citizens to live and work in Spain.
What are the requirements to obtain a Golden Visa when you buy a property in Barcelona?
To obtain the “Golden Visa” in Spain through property purchase, the following requirements must be met:
- Purchase a property with a value of over €500,000
- Maintain ownership of the property for a minimum of five years
- Proof of sufficient financial means to support yourself and any dependents during your stay in Spain
- Clean criminal record and no threat to national security
- Medical insurance coverage for the duration of your stay
- Proof of residency in Spain for a minimum of 183 days per year
It’s important to note that the specific requirements and application process for the “Golden Visa” may change, so it’s advisable to seek the guidance of a legal professional and stay updated on the most current information.
Could I buy a property in Barcelona from the country of origin or do I need to be physically in Barcelona?
Yes, it is possible to purchase property in Barcelona from your country of origin. Many property purchases in Spain can be completed remotely with the help of a real estate agent. At Urbane International we have a whole team dedicated to that. However, it is advisable to visit the property in person, if possible, before making a final decision to ensure that it meets your expectations and requirements. Additionally, you may need to physically sign some documents and attend appointments during the process of obtaining the “Golden Visa” if you choose to apply for it.
Do I need to go through a lot of paperwork when buying a property in Barcelona?
Yes, purchasing a property in Barcelona typically involves a significant amount of paperwork. The process usually involves obtaining various certificates and documents, including a certificate of habitability, proof of ownership, and a certificate of energy efficiency, among others. You may also need to provide personal and financial information as part of the process. It is advisable to seek the guidance of a Real Estate Agent who is familiar with Spanish property laws and regulations to assist with the process and ensure that all necessary paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
All in all, it can be a very complex process or a very smooth one if you count on the right partner. Therefore we advise you to contact us and let us tell you the advantage of having Urbane International Real Estate as your agent.